The Graduate Record Examination, or GRE, is a standardized test that is commonly used for graduate school admissions in the United States and other countries. The GRE exam is designed to measure a student’s verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills. While the GRE General Test is required for most graduate programs, the GRE Subject Test is designed for students applying to specific programs, such as math, physics, or biology.
Preparing for the GRE exam can be a challenging and time-consuming process. Fortunately, there are many materials and resources available to help you prepare for the exam, including study guides, practice tests, online courses, and private tutors. In this article, we will explore the various materials and resources available to help you prepare for the GRE exam, including their strengths and weaknesses. Whether you are a recent college graduate or a working professional, this guide will help you create a comprehensive and effective study plan to help you achieve your best possible score on the GRE exam.
Ready to make your mark in the competitive world of master’s admissions? Our online study abroad courses can help you achieve your goals.
There are many materials and resources available to help you prepare for the GRE exam. Here is a detailed list of some of the most popular and effective resources:
- Official GRE Material: The Educational Testing Service (ETS), the organization that administers the GRE, offers official study materials that are highly recommended for test preparation. These materials include The Official Guide to the GRE General Test, which provides a comprehensive overview of the test format, sample questions, and scoring guides. Additionally, ETS offers the Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions and Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions, which provide authentic practice questions to help you familiarize yourself with the test content and question types.
- Online Practice Tests: Taking practice tests is crucial for GRE preparation, as they help you simulate the test-day experience and identify areas where you need improvement. ETS offers two free online practice tests on their official website, allowing you to assess your performance and get a sense of your strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, several reputable test prep companies, such as Kaplan and Princeton Review, offer online practice tests that closely resemble the actual GRE exam.
- Prep Books: Several comprehensive GRE prep books are available in the market, offering detailed content review, practice questions, and test-taking strategies. Some popular choices include “The Princeton Review: Cracking the GRE” and “Kaplan GRE Prep Plus.” These books often include multiple full-length practice tests and additional online resources to supplement your preparation.
- Online Learning Platforms: Several online learning platforms provide GRE preparation courses that cater to different learning styles and schedules. Platforms like Magoosh, Manhattan Prep, and Kaplan offer video lessons, interactive practice questions, and study plans tailored to the GRE. These platforms often provide score improvement guarantees and access to expert instructors who can answer your questions and provide guidance throughout your preparation.
- Flashcards and Vocabulary Resources: Building a strong vocabulary is crucial for the Verbal Reasoning section of the GRE. Flashcards are an effective way to memorize and reinforce word meanings. Platforms like Quizlet and Memrise offer GRE-specific flashcards created by test takers and experts. Additionally, ETS provides a free resource called “Word of the Day” that delivers a daily vocabulary word directly to your inbox.
- Online Communities and Forums: Engaging with fellow GRE test takers can provide valuable insights and support during your preparation. Online communities and forums such as GRE Prep Club and Reddit’s r/GRE offer platforms to discuss study strategies, share resources, and seek guidance from individuals who have already taken the test. These communities can be an excellent source of motivation and a way to clarify doubts.
Check out the free GRE Course and free TOEFL Course.
Preparing for the GRE requires dedication, a well-structured study plan, and access to reliable study materials and resources. By utilizing official GRE materials, online practice tests, prep books, online learning platforms, flashcards, vocabulary resources, and engaging with online communities, you can effectively enhance your GRE preparation and increase your chances of achieving a high score. Remember, consistency and practice are key to success on the GRE. Good luck with your preparation!